Monday, November 12, 2007

Seven Month Post Surgery Update

First - a quick shout-out to all my brother and sister Veterans! You guys keep me motivated!

So last week marked my seventh month since surgery and, I must say, I was getting a bit frustrated at not hearing those magical words from my Ortho ... "I think it's time we take those braces off you." Well, during my appointment last week he said it and it looks like I'll be getting them off at my next appointment!

As ready as I am, I'm a bit apprehensive as well. I kind of like the security of the bands while I'm sleeping and I know that my teeth won't be moving out of place as long as the arch wires are in place. And I have no idea how the teeth will look (whiteness-wise) once the braces come off. I almost wish it was like when Mrs Shanton (Stephanie) had her braces off - she didn't know until she showed up for her Ortho visit!

Kristen & Mary - if you guys read this: Do you recommend I schedule a cleaning on the same day immediately after the brace removal. I understand the Ortho will clean the teeth to remove the bonding cement and all but I'm not sure that's going to be enough after three years of braces.

13 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Bill,

I actually don't recommend a cleaniang the same day. Your ortho will actually polish your teeth. I think my teeth looked the best they ever did right after debracing. Plus your teeth will be a little sore. I would definitely give it a few days before doing anything. My guess is that your teeth will look great. I think that Kristen had the same worry and then discovered it was unfounded. So just relax, enjoy, and smile! Mary

Bill said...

Thanks Mary. You know, I think I'm almost as anxious now that it's time to get the braces removed as I was getting them in the first place - weird, huh?

Maggie said...

Hi Bill! I wouldn't recommend the same day, either. Your teeth might feel a little sensitive. It'd be the best to wait a few days (I waited until the following Monday).

I was a little anxious about the removal as well - mostly about the whiteness, or the lack thereof. But it turned out just fine. No problem whatsoever. Smile, and smile big! The day is almost here! When IS your next appointment?

Kristen

Bill said...

Thanks Kristin. I've decided to wait a few days to schedule a follow-up cleaning.

8:30 am on Friday, 7 December is my de-bracing time / date. 18 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes, 27 seconds ... and counting!

Brandyleigh35 said...

Congrats Bill!
Been a long time coming huh? I totally can relate with your wanting them off, I'm right there with you! I too am a bit apprehensive though, as I don't want things to change or revert back to how they were. I know that is probably highly unlikely provided I follow my retainer routine religiously (which I know I will) but I can't help but worry a bit anyway.

Mine come of in 9 days! Oh...and not having read this in advance, I have a scheduled cleaning that same day! :( Hope it doesn't hurt! I'm about sick of pain...know what I mean?

Can wait to see you debraced smile. Be sure and post some pics for us!

Brandy

Bill said...

Thanks Brandy :) Great news that your braces are coming off already! Let me know how it goes with the de-banding and cleaning afterwards.

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Bill,
I don't recommend doing the debracing and cleaning in one day. My teeth were pretty tender after the debracing, the cleaning on top of it was almost enough to put me over the edge, and she hardly had to scrape anything at all off! Plus my teeth were very sensitive to hot and cold too and that made the whole rinsing thing almost excrutiating! So....take my advice (as well as the others) and do not schedule your cleaning on the same day, unless you are like totally into pain! LOL

I am happy to be braces free though, however, I have not been able to really enjoy it yet as my teeth are still very sore from the retainers etc. Maybe in a few more days things wil be better.

Brandy

Maggie said...

Hats off to you, Bill. Nairobi, Kenya is so unusual - I had to look it up on the map just now (oh where where where in Africa is it?). LOL. How was your safari experience? What were some of the most memorable moments?

Maggie said...

Two more days to go! You must be so excited! :)

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Bill,
Tomorrow is the big day! Hope all goes well! Sooner then you think you will be flashing your pearly whites oooo rrrahhhh! Can't wait to see your pics!

Brandy

Brandyleigh35 said...

Ok...come on now! We want to see the pics!

Maggie said...

I second that. Did it go according to plan? :)

Richmond Dentist said...

Really? hope your fine now..